Sunday, December 12, 2010

The Nutcracker and Me

Last night I performed in the Nutcracker. Yes, performed. As in on stage. In front of the audience. Now before you check my photo, no I didn't actually dance. I was invited by the Quinte Ballet School to be the guest celebrity at last night's performance in Oshawa. My role was to read a story at the beginning to my 'daughter' that would introduce the ballet. I was on stage for about two minutes tops. But it was so much fun. I loved going to a rehearsal and seeing those wonderful young people practice. I loved being backstage watching the excitement build. And, ham that I am, I loved having my own small part.

Unfortunately I don't have any photos as photography was not allowed and I was just wearing my own clothes so not much point in taking a picture off stage. However there was a photographer backstage, and I will try to get a copy of the pictures with me in them and some others to post here.

I snuck into the theatre after to watch the performance and just loved it. I can't say I've ever been to a ballet before. I'd love to go again. The costumes were just fabulous and the dancing superb. These students were on the verge of adulthood and going professional and the quailty showed. (Plus, of course the beginning students had small parts - so cute).

Earlier in the day I had a hugely successful booksigning at Books and Company, the Independent bookstore in Picton, Ontario. It's nice to live in a small community and to feel part of the community. One lovely woman said "I love you!" to which I replied, "Oh. I love you to." She'd read all my books and didn't even have to buy Negative Image because she had it already.

So all in all, a very nice day. But I'm glad the book tour is now over and I can try to remember that I am supposed to be a writer - not just a book promoter.

No comments:

Post a Comment