Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Visiting the RCMP heritage centre



Even when we writers are on vacation, we're working. I'm between engagements in Winnipeg and Saskatoon and have come to Regina for a couple of days for sightseeing and relaxing. On my way to the museums this morning, I stopped at a Chapters store for a drive-by. Just popped in, announced myself, and asked if they'd like me to sign books. It's always fun. The store staff are delighted to meet you, and happy to let you sign books. Helps give the books a bit more visibility with a signed by author sticker and a bookmark poking out of the top.

Then I went on to the Royal Saskatchewan Museum, which is small but very very good. They have great exibits on the geography of the province and the lives of the First Nations peoples. Plus the museum is in a beautiful garden setting by the river.

I spent the afternoon at the RCMP Heritage Centre, which is a museum for the history of the RCMP. As you know (I hope) Corporal Richard Sterling in the Gold Rush books is with the NWMP and Constable Adam Tocek of the Molly Smith books is with the RCMP. The history of the NWMP in particular, how they peacefully opened the west, is fascinating.

I bought a couple of items in the shop, things to bring with me next year to Left Coast Crime or Malice Domestic if I host a table. I think you'll like them.

A reminder: I'll be speaking at McNally Robinson in Saskatoon on Thursday at 7:30 PM. It should be a fun evening, so I hope to see you all there.

No comments:

Post a Comment